Friday, November 18, 2011

Family Dinner

Garrett studied in Costa Rica prior to us going there and stayed with a host family a few towns away.  He wanted to surprise them so we hired a taxi and decided to go over one night.  Without any notice we just showed up.  I was extremely surprised to see the conditions the people lived in outside of the resort towns.  A neighborhood of small houses, no bigger than an average family room, tin roof, holes in the cinderblock walls.  I mean they weren't living in the middle ages, they still had running water, electric and TV, but it was still an eye opener to what I was used to in America.  They were all stoked, a full family of 10 with another baby on the way that was their daughters.  Three generations under one roof.  They brought us in and right away started cooking dinner, talking story (of which i didnt understand a word since it was all spanish) but I still interacted and they talked to me in what english they knew.  They were the nicest people in the world.  Barely able to afford much, they stuffed our faces with native foods and drink until we were in a full on food coma.  We stayed until the wee hours of the morning laughing the entire time and playing soccer with the kids in the "neighborhood".  Without a doubt a highlight of my trip and an experience that I will never forget. Pura Vida

No comments:

Post a Comment