Monday, October 8, 2012

Breast Cancer Awareness Month

October marks a month that is very meaningful to me in many ways. This month is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month - a month that offers hope and support for millions of women and men across the country and around the world.

My mother was first diagnosed with breast cancer in October 2004 when I was 13 years old.  Five years and two relapses of breast cancer later, my mother lost her battle on October 13, 2009.  Only seven months later, my aunt (my mothers sister) also lost her battle with breast cancer.  Aside from the toll that these losses took on myself, my sister and my family, I could not hold on to the feeling of grievance for long - she would never want that.  Not too long after her passing, I found a passion for art - specifically surf art, thanks to inspiration by Drew Brophy - and picked up my first paint pen to do a piece in honor of my mother.  I painted the words "C'mon Chicks Check Ya Tits" on the bottom of my board to try and keep the memory of my mother, who bought me my first surfboard and got me into the sport and lifestyle, with me at all times. (Please note that I was not aware of who Julian Wilson was at this time, nor the fact that he put a similar phrase on one of his boards).  It seemed meaningless at the time after I painted it; it wasn't until I took a trip to Costa Rica the following summer that the message was clear - so many people are affected by breast cancer and want to spread awareness as I do.  In the towns of Tamarindo, Playa Grande and Playa Negra, I was approached by complete strangers who showed appreciation to my board and told me their stories of loved ones that are or have battled cancer.

I realize that I am only one person in a world of billions, but it only takes one person to make a difference.  Typing these words on this webpage, someone will read it and realize that they are not alone.  I think that realization was one of the most important things that helped me get through my difficult times.  Knowing that you are not alone and that there are millions of people who are grieving just as you are or that are battling cancer just as you might be shows anyone that they have support. Whether it is from those in your family, or a complete stranger thousands of miles away - You Are Not Alone and We Support You.

So this is my request for all of you: please become active in a campaign that supports others. In my case, this is a campaign that I am very passionate about. While this may not be the one for you, there are thousands of other campaigns that support peoples that may attract you.  Never let someone tell you that you cannot make a difference in this world because you are one person, because all it takes is one person to make the life of another better.

This post is dedicated to my Mother, Aunt Kathy, for those battling cancer, for those who have beat cancer and for those that we have lost, you are all my heroes.  I hope to be as strong as you were in your darkest hours.




1 comment:

  1. It's wonderful to hear how you want to carry your mom's strength forward. One person can most certainly make a difference in the lives of others.

    ReplyDelete